Jaka Železnikar is an author of e-literature, net artist, and web developer.
In 1994 his several years of literary engagement rooted in poetry result in his literary debut, a book of poetry and short stories, 54.000 words (54.000 besed, in Slovene).
Net art, e-literature
With his net art/e-literature work Interactivalia (1997) eneters the net art and e-literature domain as one of the pioners of the field. This work is the first slovene collection of internet based interactive poetry. Up to today more than 50 works of net art and e-literature are freely and add-free awailable on his website.
Mediums of works
Most of the works of Jaka Železnikar are digital born and on-line. Next to that he also published and released several books, a 3½ floppy disk of interactive e-poetry, Firefox add-ons, and an Android app - complemented with performances/e-literature readings and events, installations, exhibitions, and poetry readings.
Publications and exhibitions
He presents his work in literary and exhibition venues both nationally and internationally.
Selected publications of e-literature (journals and magazines)
- 2011. Fragments of Distances (on-line), The New River Journal
- 2008. Razorganizator/Disorganiser and Črke/Letters (Firefox add-ons), Hyperrhiz.04
- 2014. net.art Painters and Poets, Mestna galerija, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 2007. The Art Happens Here, iCommons Summit — artist in residence, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- 2006. Oivos-Oivos / Wine-Wine – Visual poetry exhibition, Patras, European Capital of Culture 2006, Patras, Greece
- 2005. Territories, identities, nets : Slovene art 1995-2005, Moderna galerija, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 2003. Nordic Live Art, Göteborg Art Museum, Göteborg, Švedska
- 2002. Web 3D Art 2002, ICA — Institute of Contemporary Arts, London, UK
- 2001. Slovene visual and concrete poetry (1965 - 2001), Bežigrajska galerija, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 2001. The Eye And Its Truth - Spectacle and Reality in Slovene Art 1984 - 2001, Moderna galerija, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 1999. Net_condition, TheLounge, NetShop#2, ZKM — Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie, Karlsruhe, Germany
Selected work as a selector/curator
- 2005 - 2006. Festival of creativity and free culture, festival accompanying the launch of the Slovene Creative Commons licence and the following festival dedicated to free culture, Ljubljana, Slovenia (selector/curator)
- 2002. Pixxelpoint, international festival of computer art, Nova Gorica, Slovenia (selector)
- 2001 - 2003. Golden Bird Award (Zlata ptica), awards for recent achievements in different artistic disciplines by emerging and promising authors or groups, Ljubljana, Slovenia (member of the jury)
- 2000 — 2003. Break Festival, Ljubljana, Slovenia (selector/programme advisor)
Further information on the author
For more details on awards, exhibitions, festivals and curatorial, selective and similar work please see:
This document is currently being translated from Slovene. I hope that the English version will be running soon, but until then I would like to apologize for any inconveniences.
jaka jaka org